Saturday, July 4, 2015

In Tribute to a Great Woman


 Wednesday 24th June 2015 was a sad day for my family and I. This was the day my grandmother passed away. Alhamdulillah (Praise be to Allah), she was fortunate to pass away in the most Blessed month of Ramadhaan, and she was peaceful at her home, in her own bed. But naturally, her passing has left an open gap in our lives and we will miss her dearly.


My grandmother has left behind a legacy though, she did not do big things in her life, she was not famous, nor popular outside of her community, but her legacy is an important one, this is why I needed to share it.


At 85 years old my grandmother had obviously lived a full life. Don’t be mistaken, it was a life of trials and tribulations. Despite this though, she was always smiling, always happy and always ready to make the next person smile. She forgave easily and never held grudges and she had this talent for making every individual feel special. She genuinely cared about the well-being of others. For many of us, we will remember her jolliness, she loved telling jokes and singing old songs and rhymes. Most of all, she was always positive about everything, she didn’t dwell on problems, or become depressed, in fact she seemed to have mastered positive psychology long before the discipline was even established.


My earliest memories that stand out was when she would stay over with us and I would pray salaah next to her as a young child. I remember her reprimanding me for jumping off the prayer mat quickly, and she would tell me to sit a little while longer and make a small duaa (prayer).  And still at the age of 85, she was concerned about praying her salaah, she would get up in the early morning hours to make sure she performs her Fajr salaah, even in the cold, on Fridays she would stress out from early on in the morning to make sure that she had bathed and got ready for prayers early, she was fortunate enough to understand the importance of salaah, even when she became confused about what she needed to be reciting, and I wish that if I ever reach that age, I too will follow this example.


My grandmother's zest for life was remarkable, even when she was old and sick she looked forward to seeing people and socializing. She always wanted to look her best, and would always add some bling to her outfits. I remember when she was in hospital in Makkah a few years ago, she asked us to bring her eye pencil and joked that she didn't want to look like a sick chicken. I used to laugh at the fact that her social life was much more exciting than mine, and undoubtedly, my dressing and appearance was way too simple in comparison to hers. A woman full of life and joy, this was my grandmother. 


My grandmother has passed away, but her strength and positivity will live on, and the example she set as a strong an independent Muslim woman will not be forgotten.



I pray that Allah Almighty grants her the highest stages of Jannah (Paradise) and that she is in peace! Ameen. 

Image from here 

8 comments:

  1. Dearest Zarina...firstly Ramadan Mubarak!
    Second, I want to say that I too pray that Allah grants your grandmother the highest place in Jannah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salma

    As salaamu alaykum my dear sister, and Ramadhaan Mubarak to you too, I hope that you are having a lovely month. JazakAllah Khayr for your duaa, may Allah reward you;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salams dear Sis. Zarina. What a beautiful, moving post about a truly remarkable Muslimah. May Allah (swt) truly bless her with the highest level of Jannah. Thank you for sharing her inspiring story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was salaam dear sister Sheima, JazakAllah Khayr for your kind words and duaa, may Allah reward you and accept all of our prayers Insha Allah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful tribute for your dear Grandma!!

    She sounds like a real character!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Inner Chick

    Thank you, yes truly my grandmother was a "real character", can't help but smile when I remember her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sure such a beautiful person is in paradise by now. It's a fabulous tribute Zarina and a great exemple for us to follow. May God ease your pain and heal your heart, with time.
    Love and Light from France

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie

    Thank you so much, your kind words mean a lot.

    Stay well and in peace always;-)

    ReplyDelete